Wednesday, June 22, 2011

oh, internet. how you thwart me.

I was going to try to upload a bunch of photos here today, but the internet is not cooperating, so words will have to do instead. Mostly.
I've gone to the dig site for the past two days in a row--it's basically been a lot of clearing backfill, which is dirt jumbled up with deposits of flint and bone. It's really interesting work, even though it feels a heck of a lot like manual labor. There's so much material to sift through that I don't really notice the time go by, except when it's almost lunchtime. I'd be getting really fit if it weren't for all the French food I'm eating, but I feel like everything cancels out and I break even :)

 Yesterday the dig was incredibly hot, and there was sun and dust everywhere, but fortunately there is a spring right next to the site which has wonderful cold water. The water is directly from the source of the spring, and is filtered through about a mile of solid limestone, so it's very clean. So don't freak out, Dad.
Today I spent a large part of my time cleaning off the face of the rock wall on the other side of the dig, which meant a lot of clambering around and whacking things with a pickaxe, and rock climbing (safely. With eye protection and gloves. And only three feet above the ground. So don't freak out, Dad). I also found an enormous (and possibly pregnant) salamander.
The whole crew was treated to dinner tonight at a restaurant in town--it was all delicious, including the appetizer, which was pate, bread, and....duck gizzards. I'm not even kidding, and they were delicious. So...cross that one off the list, I guess.

I'm not sure what I'll be doing tomorrow--it's likely to be lab work, I think. But I'm sure I'll like it.

I'll do my best to post photos here or at least on Facebook as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment